Peace is a state of harmony characterized by lack of violent conflict, commonly understood as the absence of hostility; peace also suggests the existence of healthy or newly healed interpersonal and group relationships, prosperity in matters of social or economic welfare, the establishment of equality, and a working political order that serves the true interest of all. Peace in international relations is not the absence of war or conflict, but also the presence of cultural, economic developmental understanding.
Peace-building and conflict mitigation on the other hand refers to the steps taken by multiple stakeholders towards establishing positive peace in the society. Within this context, the role of critical stakeholders such as the State, top political and military officials, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), the media, traditional rulers, religious leaders, youth groups and Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Faith Based Organizations (FBOs) among others, is considered very crucial.
The Conflict Concept
This project will seek to address issues relating to religious discrimination leading to violence at community and regional levels with chain reactions. The project shall also analyze conflict dimensions mainly from the personal and relational dimensions which are the bedrock of structural and cultural dimensions of conflict. Structural and cultural dimensions of conflict will not be addressed in this project as proposed as these are deemed to require much longer timeframes to address effectively. However, we hope that in due course opportunity shall avail itself to do so.
- Personal Dimensions: Conflicts often arise among individuals because of poor self-esteem and complexes which are manipulated for personal reasons.
- Relational Dimension: Conflicts are caused and lingers due to low level of tolerance among people of different ethnic and religious backgrounds and poor interpersonal skills.
The main thrust of the program is to seek a paradigm shift in the way people perceive issues relating to conflict as they affect them and others in their community. It also seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- Enhance the State Government’s intervention and effective engagement with Community Groups on Peace Building and Conflict Mitigation;
- Work toward changing how people perceive and react to issues relating to religious and communal conflicts and its effect on the Community;
- Strengthen the capacity of existing and Community structures to promote peace and local socio-economic development;
- Promote full inclusiveness and effective participation of Community Groups in the State and Federal Governments peace efforts; and to
- Reassure resident in the affected States as well as other parts of Northern Nigeria on the Government’s capacity to maintain peace thereby making the States and indeed the country at large, the destination of choice for investment.
Per selected community, 30 participants will be selected (5 each) from the following groups in the community:
- Traditional Rulers
- Community and Opinion Leaders
- Youth Leaders
- Women Groups
- Religious Leaders
The project will run in twelve (12) locations and will be carried out in the Four (4) States with participants drawn from one community each from the three (3) Senatorial Districts in each State as follows: Kaduna, Bauchi, Taraba and Nasarawa.
Total target participants will be 360 participants as follows which will be selected along the following considerations:
- 1 community in each of 3 Senatorial Districts x 4 States = 12 Centers
- 6 Participants each from 5 targeted group = 30 Participants Per District
- 3 Senatorial Districts x 30 Participants = 90 Participants Per State
- 90 Participants x 4 States = 360 Total Participants
The project intends to select 15 Muslims and 15 Christians to make up the 30 participants. The center zoning will be in the following areas in view of their volatility and conflict history:
- KADUNA STATE
- Zone 1 - Sabon Gari Zaria
- Zone 2 - Kaduna
- Zone 3 - Kafanchan
- TARABA STATE
- Zone 1 - Gossol
- Zone 2 - Karim Lamido
- Zone 3 - Wukari
- BAUCHI STATE
- Zone 1 - Tafawa Balewa/Balgoro
- Zone 2 - Gamawa
- Zone 3 - Darazo
- NASARAWA STATE
- Zone 1 - Nasarawa
- Zone 2 - Nasarawa Eggon
- Zone 3 - Lafia
Program/activities to be carried out during the program include:
- Training Sessions
- Advocacy training and campaigns
- Project Review Meetings
- Engagement with Executive, Legislative and Judiciary Arms of government in each State
- Participatory Evaluation Meetings
- Training for Facilitators
Project Management Team
- Gambo Ibrahim Gujungu - Project Director
- Abdiel Kude - Project Manager
- Ahmed Mohammed Zagi - Project Accountant
- Ahmed Usman - Admin. Officer
- Bello Abdulhamid - Program Officer I
- Delu Jonah JP - Program Officer II